|Name in Japanese||立華奏|
|Romaji Translation||Tachibana Kanade|
|Nickname/s||Tenshi (天使, lit. Angel)|
|Debut (Anime)||Episode 01|
|Debut (Light Novel)||Track Zero Chapter 02|
|Debut (Manga)||Heaven’s Door Chapter 02|
|Appears in||Anime, Light Novels, Manga|
|Voice Actor (Japanese)||Kana Hanazawa|
|Voice Actor (English)||Emily Neves|
|Affiliation/s||Student Council (President)|
|Final Appearance||Episode 13|
Kanade Tachibana (立華奏, Tachibana Kanade) is a girl who acts as the Student Council President at the afterlife school. Her nickname, Angel (天使,Tenshi), is coined by Hinata and was later used by SSS leader Yuri to refer to her, despite her nickname that means "angel" in Japanese. She is a regular human just like the rest of the SSS. Yuri apparently knew this since Episode 5, but most of the SSS continued to think that she was a real angel.
AppearanceEdit.Kanade is a girl with long silvery-white hair and gold-yellow eyes. She possesses features of someone young for a middle school student. She wears the standard uniform of the afterlife school, white knee-high socks and brown loafers and a pale blue barrette on the back of her hair. She is one of the shortest characters in the series, being only 160 cm tall.
Kanade does not appear to be less than a typical human being in physical form, but this is contrasted by her lack of emotion, even in skirmishes with the SSS which usually end up with her being injured. It is difficult to understand what she is thinking due to her rarely showing any outward emotion. In later events, she is shown to have abandoned being friendly because of the rules of the world she is in, as her newly-found friends tend to leave her when they disappear.As the series progresses, she has shown a little of her emotions, mostly to Otonashi.
She is fond of eating Mapo tofu, even going so far as to ignore school rules to eat it, and also goes on to include it in her self-made school anthem.. She spends some of her free time gardening. She is actually part of the gardening club. She has recently become friends with Otonashi, even though she didn't realize this until Otonashi said so. Although this didn't change her personality much, she now allows him to call her by her first name, Kanade, and seems to exclusively talk to and hang around him. Tenshi, in later events, has helped him to fight Naoi and has saved him from being eaten by the River Monster.
Later on, she opens up to Otonashi, talking to him casually and she even helps out in Otonashi's plans to help the SSS get over their regrets. After spending more time with her, Otonashi discovers more of her personality and somewhat lack of common sense. Otonashi describes her as a "Clumsy Angel". She seems to have a large amount of endurance to pain, as she has been shot several times by the SSS without showing any reaction or indication of suffering.
There has been little information revealed about Kanade's past, but it is revealed that she has arrived in the afterlife to look for a specific person. That person was in fact the owner of her heart, which somewhat extended her life for some time, and this ignited an urge to show her gratitude to the person who gave his/her heart to her.
A Servant of "God"Edit
Kanade is the main target of Yuri and by extension, the SSS, as she is seen as a servant to a higher being (God) and thus, receives her namesake "Tenshi" (lit. angel); their assumption was formed after seeing her unusual powers first-hand. Even before Hinata's arrival in the afterlife school, Yuri starts her plans in luring God out and upon her discovery of the powers of Tenshi, the Student Council President at that time, their focus shifts to plans on how to get rid of her.
As Kanade becomes involved with conflicts initiated by Yuri, she stays true to her duties, watching over the school as the Student Council President for some time, and at times, ignoring Yuri's assaults altogether.
The Afterlife BattlefrontEdit
. Upon the forming of the new "anti-Tenshi" group called the Afterlife Battlefront, attacks against Kanade intensify with the help of Guild's weaponry. At this time, Otonashi has joined the group and has been witness to how much of a threat she was to his safety. thus his decision to join the said group.
A Backfired PlanEdit
Later on, the SSS discovers that Kanade does not have the nature of someone working with God; in fact she is human like them. The discovery forces Yuri to devise a plan to humiliate her to serve as additional proof for her humanity. The plan involves sabotaging Kanade's test results to tarnish her clean record and thus, giving her grounds for dismissal.
Their plan succeeded flawlessly; Kanade was dismissed from office as Student Council President, with Vice President Ayato Naoi taking over her position. At this period, she experiences being put into a detention facility with Otonashi due to the latter insisting to treat her for lunch despite the time constraints. Meanwhile, Otonashi hears news of his friends confronting Naoi and turns to Kanade to help him escape. After she and Otonashi break out from the detention facility, she goes to help Otonashi in saving the SSS from Naoi's plan to get rid of them.
In an attempt to become friends with her, Otonashi invites Kanade to fish with him and the other SSS members, despite the others' rejections. She agrees, and eventually, she becomes a big help to the group, taking down the biggest and most-feared fish in the river; she also stays to assist the SSS in sharing the catch with the rest of the school.
During this time, Otonashi tells her they are friends and requests to address her by her first name, and that she will do the same for him, in return. Although she does not seem to be particularly appreciative of Otonashi's efforts due to her emotionless demeanor, she does agree to become friends with him and allow him to call her by her first name, Kanade.
Soon, she is compelled to face a foe who shares the same powers and form as herself. In later events, they discover that it is one of Kanade's clones who developed an independent conscience after being summoned. Kanade is then captured by another of the clones and was contained in Guild's underground ruins. The SSS, led by Yuri and Otonashi, push through to rescue her from the clones, which unattended would be a bigger threat than Kanade herself, and they succeeded in saving her, though she is forced to fight a more difficult battle: one against the many consciousnesses that her Harmonics ability created.
Misunderstandings and a PlotEdit
After a long time unconscious, Kanade manages to wake up from the ordeal victorious.
She then explains to Otonashi, who has just regained all of his memories, that her fighting with the SSS has been a very large misunderstanding. Her role in the world of the afterlife is to help young souls that feel life or God was unfair to them, find comfort with themselves and relieve themselves of regrets so they may pass on or "disappear." Despite what the SSS made her seem to be (an evil "angel" who carries out the will of an unfair god; partly because Kanade used weapons against them, which unknowingly were created for Kanade's self-defense, and due to her being unable to express herself effectively) she is extremely kind on the inside and only wants to help souls.
Kanade is later seen resuming her position as the Student Council President and the SSS members have to retake their exams for tampering with her test paper. She continues helping people in the afterlife pass on, but this time, with the assistance of Otonashi as her ally.
An Unlikely AllianceEditEventually, Kanade teamed up with the SSS in order to fight against the Shadows, who were threatening the safety of non-NPC and NPC students in the world. She acts as the primary defense of the newly-formed alliance as the SSS gathers the remaining members to assist.
She also detected the Shadow attack on Yuri, and led Otonashi, Hinata, and Naoi to her. They managed to rescue Yuri, and brought her over to the Second Computer Room, where the culprit behind the Shadows appearing was located. After the fight, Yuri was left unconscious for three days, during this time Kanade and Ottanashi worked together to prepare a surprise for Yuri.
My Soul, Your HeartEdit
After all the Shadows were deleted by Yuri's assault on the Second Computer Room, Kanade and the remaining SSS members plan a graduation ceremony. After most of the SSS members have moved on, Kanade, Otonashi, Naoi, Hinata and Yuri are the only ones left to experience the graduation ceremony.
Naoi, Hinata and Yuri soon move on and disappeared, leaving Otonashi and Kanade. While outside Otonashi confesses to her that he loves her and he finds out that Kanade has his heart, which he donated on his final moments. Kanade soon reveals that the true reason that she was in the afterlife was because she was looking to thank the person who has given her the gift of life of the heart; as it turns out, it was Otonashi's heart beating in Kanade's chest at the last moments of her life.
After thanking him for owing him an extended life, she disappears.
A Fated MeetingEdit
In the end, a girl that resembles Kanade was waiting on the streets and a passing boy that resembles Otonashi recognizes the tune she is humming Iwasawa's last song, "My Song", and turns in recognition of the song or of her. In the scene, the girl starts walking away after the boy passes by, but the boy chases after her to touch her shoulder in order to get her to turn around so they may meet. The scene fades to white just before the boy makes contact with the girl. This is likely that Otonashi & Kanade met each other again in the real world as Otonashi was confirmed to have moved on from the Afterlife school to reincarnate by the writer.
She fights with supernatural abilities, whose origin is probably artificial in nature. Her abilities are voice-activated, and can take effect almost immediately. Combined with her advanced skill in hand to hand combat, this makes her a formidable opponent for the members of the SSS.
In SSS's attempt to infiltrate Kanade's dormitory room, they gain information about her abilities, which are compiled in her personal computer. This discovery deeply disturbs Yuri, who wonders why Angel is not getting her abilities from God like she first assumed. This leads her to question if there is even a God, meaning that at all of their fighting has been for nothing. Later events support their earlier discovery and a manual called Angel Player is even discovered which is related to the program they discovered.
List of Guard SkillsEdit
- Hand Sonic: Calls forth a single blade or a pair of blades on each hand. The blades are capable of slicing through steel or even easily dispatching of Shadows. Kanade has shown variations to its form:
- Hand Sonic [Version One]: Regular shape resembling a longsword. The main version she uses when fighting the SSS.
- Hand Sonic [Version Two]: A thinner longer version than the previous, with a curved-diamond shape on its tip. She made this version thinner for higher speed.
- Hand Sonic [Version Three]: Is shaped like a traditional sai. She once remarked that this version is "inelegant".
- Hand Sonic [Version Four]: A variation which is shaped like a lotus flower with no edges other than, perhaps, its petals. Apparently more of a bludgeoning weapon than a slicing one. Kanade admits to have created it in her attempt to make her weapon "cuter".
- Hand Sonic [Version Five]: Kanade's most recent variation of Hand Sonic. Is basically a pair of pincers secured on the arm by a blue gauntlet-like accessory that resembles a demon's head, horns and shape. She created this version out of Otonashi's advice to make a more ruthless image. She used this version as a makeshift slingshot and for dispatching the Shadows.
- Distortion: Allows her to deflects bullets or other projectiles away using an invisible shield in front of her. The drawback of this technique is that she has to take it down should she wants to switch from defense to offense.
- Delay: Creates a sort of after-image for close range. It is effective in dodging melee attacks by confusing the enemy into attacking elsewhere.
- Harmonics: Makes a clone of herself which is identical to her except the clone has blood-red eyes. Clones created through this ability has their own consciousness and has all the abilities of the original - including Harmonics itself. This ability is apparently sightly glitched, as her clones was shown to rebel against her to the extent of almost killing her.
- Absorb: A "hidden ability" which acts as the reverse of Harmonics. It allows the reintegration of clones created through Harmonics into the original's body. This, however, poses some risks as Harmonics clones also possess their own consciousness. This ability is connected to Harmonics using a command called timewait, which is simply a wait command which delays the execution of this ability. This ability was created by Yuri as method of dealing with the Harmonics clones.
- Overdrive: A passive ability that gives her superhuman strength.
- Howling: Emits powerful high-frequency, high-amplitude sound-waves from crossed Hand Sonic blades, meant to make an enemy faint. Created by one of the Harmonics clones.
- Angel Wings: Sprouts wings from her back that, while they don't enable her to fly, can be used to slow descent and let her survive drops such as jumping from the roof of a building. However, this technique seems to only be a decoration, created also out of Otonashi's advice, as one of the Harmonics clones has shown the ability to jump from the rooftop to the schoolyard with ease.
- Sonic Rotation: This unnamed technique produces a blue aura when used. Kanade produces a Version One Hand Sonic on each arm and spins rapidly, effectively destroying everything in the vincity. It was stated to be as powerful as a bomb by Naoi, after it demolished a mass of Shadows and left a round crater in the ground.
- In the 3rd drama CD, she told Otonashi that she loves him.
- In the last episode, she said that Otonashi was sleeping on her chest. But when the flashback was shown, Otonashi was seen sleeping beside her, and she was seen caressing his hair.
- In the opening credits, Kanade is shown playing the piano, but it is unknown if she actually plays the instrument.
- In the 3rd drama CD, she had a latest version of Hand Sonic, called Hand Sonic Version 28. She commented that it is made out of fear, sadness, etc. She also said that she has made already Hand Sonic Version 6-27.
- The kanji for Kanade means, to play a tune.
- Kanade was a contestant of the voting contest Anime Saimoe Tournament 2010 but lost to Yamada Aoi in the block finals just before the quarterfinals of the tournament.
- Kanade bears a resemblance to Yin from Darker Than Black, Nagato from The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya and Caren Ortensia from Fate/Stay Night.